Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

I TOTALLY need a chalkboard for my kitchen. I've been pricing around and even contemplating those little stick ons. I saw a blog post somewhere (sorry, I don't remember where exactly, or I'd credit you for the idea - if you did it, feel free to leave a comment & I'll do so. I'm all about giving credit where credit is due....) where someone turned a mirror into a chalkboard and I thought it was just brilliant. When we were in Jersey, there was no Goodwill, so I had to resort to Craigslist for all of my projects. Unfortunately, I never found anything that was worth the drive...or the aggravation of getting on the Turnpike or Parkway, atleast in terms of a mirror.

The other day, I decided to see if there was a Goodwill nearby. Sure enough, one popped up in the next town over. One day, after taking my kids to the doctor, I decided to stop by and see what they had. I was blown away! There were SO many things that could've been worked over so easily. There was this one antique chaise for 20 bucks.......but I didn't get it. My husband would have shot me.

Fortunately, one of the many great finds included a great big (ugly) mirror!!! Apparently it had been sitting there for a while b/c it was marked all the way down to 2 bucks. Woo hoo!!

I brought it home, put down cardboard underneath and got to work....


First I Primed it with Kilz Spray -- btw, does anyone else have the worst luck with Kilz?? Every bottle I've ever used sprays fuzzy like. If that makes sense?

Then I sprayed the wood black, not really caring if I went over the mirror....



Next came the chalkboard paint over the glass area. I distressed it and hung it on the wall to cure...



But I wasn't done...Oh no! The bottom kept bugging me. So, I got out some of my leftover beadboard wallpaper and attached an applique...



After it was all dry, I repainted the bottom black and distressed again.

Et Voila! A chalkboard for my kitchen!




And here's a little closeup of the bottom. I know the image above isn't that great on detail. Still using my Blackberry!

4 comments:

  1. It turned out great! I really like the little scroll, it adds a touch of architecture. You might want to brush a little white/cream on with a dry brush to bring out the details even more. I just saw that done to scrollwork on another link from the DIY Day post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that scroll accent! It really makes the piece stand out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone in blogworld seems to have a great chalkboard except me. I need to get to work. Yours looks wonderful ... and so functional too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete